Bridge to Success Award for Mid-Career/Senior Investigators
The American Sleep Medicine Foundation (ASMF) is pleased to announce the 2017 grant cycle for the Bridge to Success for Mid-Career/Senior Investigators.
Obtaining federal funding to support sleep research is challenging. In the current funding environment, a significant number of established investigators are struggling to continue research programs that have been productive in the past. The ASMF “Bridge to Success” program includes awards targeted to mid-level and senior investigators in sleep and biological rhythms who are in need of “bridge funding” while re-applying for research support.
The Bridge to Success for Mid-Career/Senior Investigators Award is designed to assist established sleep investigators who have been independently supported by the NIH or other government research grants for at least five years, but whose recent grant proposals are unlikely to be funded. A Bridge to Success Mid-Career/Senior Investigator Award will provide support for one year to help an independent investigator stay in the field of sleep research while reapplying for external funding.
- Sleep scientists (MD, DO, or PhD) who have been independently funded for at least five of the last seven years.
- Applicant has submitted at least one NIH grant proposal (or the equivalent in the VA or other federal system) during 2015 or 2016. Note: The proposal must have been for a grant suitable for a mid-career or senior investigator and must have involved a primary focus on basic, translational or clinical sleep or circadian rhythms research.
- The application was scored at or above the 40th percentile.
- The applicants must have received a summary statement and priority score reflecting that their application is unlikely to receive funding and a revision will be necessary.
- Successful applicants must be members of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine at time of acceptance of the award.
- Individuals who receive funding through the Bridge to Success mechanism must plan to resubmit their application within one year of receipt of initial funding from the ASMF, and this timeline must be included within the application materials (see below). Since these grants are intended as bridge support, if the application is funded during the Bridge to Success award period, the applicant must notify the ASMF and any unspent funds at the start of the other award must be returned to the ASMF.
- Applicants with more than one, current federally funded grants (e.g., >1 currently funded R01 and/or VA Merit Review) are not eligible to apply for bridge funding through this mechanism. Applicants with one current, federally funded grant must provide clear justification for why the bridge funds are needed to continue the program of research.
Award Review Criteria and Process
An award review committee appointed by the ASMF Executive Committee will evaluate and score proposals. Final funding decisions will be made by the ASMF Board of Directors. Factors that will be taken into consideration include:
Download Bridge to Success Award for Mid-Career/Senior Investigators Application
- The critiques within the original summary statement and the likelihood that a revised application will be competitive for funding.
- A clear and feasible plan for resubmission of a competitive application that is responsive to the critique of the original application (including, for example, collection of required preliminary data)
- The applicant’s experience and availability of resources within the applicant’s institution necessary to complete the work proposed within the Bridge to Success award.
- Appropriateness of the proposed research to the ASMF mission, which can be viewed at www.discoversleep.org/AboutASMF.aspx
- Evidence of continued ongoing involvement in sleep or circadian rhythm research as demonstrated through recent publications, presentations, teaching or other professional activities.
- The anticipated relationship between the funds provided and expected outcomes
Candidates must complete the application process by 11:59 p.m. Central Time January 9, 2017
. Applicants will be notified of the award decision by April 2017.
For questions about the Bridge to Success Award for Mid-Career/Senior Investigators or other ASMF inquires, please contact Laura Bentley, ASMF Coordinator at 630-737-9700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.